(Maria Cecilia Sophia Anna Kalogeropoulos)
Ecumenical Hellenism Foundation
40 years of offering and creation
1821-2021: Two hundred years since the Greek War of Independence.
Our country has been through a lot all these years: a continuous war initially aiming at gaining its independence and afterwards, the preservation of its borderlines, two Balkan Wars, two World Wars, a great civil war, the Turkish invasion of Cyprus and severe financial crises!
Consequently, hundreds of Greeks and Cypriots were forced to migrate to all parts of the world. Although they traveled under the worst circumstances, they accomplished a lot! They established communities, they built schools, retirement homes but first and foremost, they erected churches, which constituted their rallying point. They started from humble beginnings but they quickly worked their way up professionally and started their own families, according to the Greek traditions, and they spread the dynamic Greek spirit worldwide. They instilled the Greek spirit, culture and national mettle to other peoples.
Villages of Greece and Cyprus were abandoned by their inhabitants, who moved to large cities and started their new lives there. The villages were deserted, the houses and estates were abandoned, labor was reduced and reshaped as immigrantsassumed various job positions. For most of the former inhabitants, those villages are just a holiday destination and their children know little about them! There are no neighborhoods left, pulsed by children’s voices, most schools, where we took our very first learning steps, do not exist anymore, while many houses are now squatted by immigrants! Mores and customs gradually became altered and most of them were lost.
Incited by all the above, we decided to create www.ellinismos.gr, The Hub of Hellenism. We didn’t come up with this idea now. We have been traveling around all the villages of Greece for 40 years, writing down all the facts that time alters and erases, as well as the personal stories of thousands of Greeks, aiming at maintaining our national identity. This treasure of knowledge and national inheritance will be captured in this website.
The website www.ellinismos.gr, The Hub of Hellenism answers and will keep answering to numerous important questions.
I live in Greece or in the diaspora and:
- I want my children to learn about their roots and the village that I had to flee!
- I want to find my relatives and friends, with whom I grew up in the same village and now we have lost contact.
- I want my last remaining relatives in Greece to know where I am and what I did in my life.
- I know that I come from this particular village, but I can’t recall the beautiful stories that my father or grandfather used to narrate about it.
- My children migrated abroad due to the financial crisis. I don’t know whether they will ever return to Greece and I’m afraid that they will lose contact with their motherland. How will they learn about my life, my personal stories, or those of my mother, my father and my grandfather?
- What is going to happen with our children, who are no longer taught Greek history properly, while at the same time 20-30% of immigrants with a different religion, language and history have entered Greece?
- What will our country be like in a few years?
- How many Greeks are there in diaspora? Nobody knows!
The site: ellinismos.gr, The Hub of Hellenism, promotes the professional and social growth and, in general, it facilitates the expansion of the activities of every Greek. Thanks to the professional and business promotion that the website provides, along with the personal link of every individual, which precedes their personal stories, anybody will have the chance to work abroad, in the professional fields they desire.
For instance, the website will provide significant help to many professionals:
- Business people aiming at expanding their entrepreneurial activities.
- Lawyers who are involved in the market field and other legal services.
- Anyone who is interested in various domains.
Ellinismos.gr, The Hub of Hellenism, seeks to give a solution to all these matters. However, this cannot happen without your contribution! We want your cooperation as well, wherever you are and if you feel like a Greek, you should collaborate with us to achieve the goals of this vision! We have been paving the path for 40 years, now it’s your turn to follow it and expand it into a greater one.
Ecumenical Hellenism Foundation President